Community Harvest Project is a 501(c)3 non profit farm that engages volunteers to grow fruits and vegetables to provide to those experiencing hunger. Through our volunteer farming programs and community partnerships, we bring thousands of community members together each year to improve access to healthy foods for individuals and families across central and eastern Massachusetts.
We are currently seeking an Equipment Operator to work under the direction of our Orchard Manager at our Harvard site, the Prospect Hill Community Orchard.
Schedule: This is a part time, year-round position at our Harvard location working 20 hours per week (exact days/schedule flexible). Requires some Saturday availability.
Location: On-site at 115 Prospect Hill Road, Harvard, MA, 01451
Job Description: The Equipment Operator is responsible for driving all farm equipment (tractors, forklifts) and doing general farm work (spraying, mowing), maintenance support of farm equipment and assisting the Orchard Manager in growing fresh produce for hunger relief.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize farm equipment to perform daily tasks, including but not limited to spraying*, mowing, cultivating, using a front end loader, snow removal, and moving harvested bins of apples
- Load/unload trucks
- Troubleshoot and complete all regular maintenance of farm equipment
- Deliver produce to partner organizations and our other farm location
- Assist with record-keeping (pesticide application, equipment maintenance) if needed
- Prioritize daily tasks and equipment needs with orchard manager
- Additional projects as assigned by Orchard Manager
- Farming tasks as needed, eg chainsaw use, tree removal, pushing brush, burning brush
Specific Qualifications Include:
- 2+ years current experience operating of farm equipment, trucks, forklifts, tractors or other large equipment.
- Some mechanical skills. High School/Trade School/Mechanic School education – Military Mechanical Training also acceptable.
- Current, valid driver’s license and driving record in good standing; must be over 18 years of age.
- Prior agricultural experiences, orchard experience a plus
- Possess a Pesticide License or be willing/able to be educated to obtain a Pesticide License at our expense
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Positive attitude, excellent communication, and strong work ethic
- Attention to detail and safety
- Some Saturday availability during harvest season (September and October)
- Compensation: $20/hour
- Time off: 10 days to use in the first 2 years of employment, then 12+ days annually year 3 and on. 5 days of paid sick time.
- Education/workshop fees for necessary licensure and credits
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references by December 30th to email@example.com.
Community Harvest Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with locations in North Grafton and Harvard, MA. Our mission is to engage and educate volunteers to grow fresh fruits and vegetables for hunger relief. Each year our sites host over 7,000 volunteers who work together to grow and donate an average of 270,000 pounds of produce to local hunger relief agencies such as the Worcester County Food Bank, Community Servings, and more.