COMMUNITY HARVEST PROJECT ORCHARD ASSISTANT
Community Harvest Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit farm that engages volunteers to grow fresh fruits and vegetables to provide to those experiencing hunger. Through our volunteer farming programs and community partnerships, we bring thousands of community members together each year to improve access to healthy foods for individuals and families across Worcester County.
We are currently seeking an Orchard Assistant to work under the direction of our Orchard Manager at our Harvard site, the Prospect Hill Community Orchard. This 75-acre property includes approximately 27 acres of apples, an acre of peaches, and an acre of asparagus. The vast majority of our apples are grown for donation and harvest from late August to late October, with a small portion sold to select partners.
The right candidate will have experience in orchard and/or other agricultural work, will be self-motivated, have a friendly personality, and enjoy working with individuals of all ages and abilities. See below for more information.
The Orchard Assistant is responsible for assisting the Orchard Manager by executing all agriculture operations at the Prospect Hill Orchard site and by creating a positive volunteer experience for all visitors.
This is a full-time, year-round position. The typical work week is 40 hours with occasional additional hours with prior notice.
Duties and responsibilities
Assist in all orchard operations, including:
Execute daily agricultural duties :
- Equipment maintenance
Execute harvest duties
- Processing and packing
- Assist with distribution partners
- Execute skilled/restricted farm activities after necessary training
- Spraying fungicides, insecticides, PGRs, herbicides and plant nutrients.
Assist in all volunteer operations:
- Work with Team Leaders to plan volunteer sessions
- Oversee and work with volunteer groups
- Work with farm interns
- Provide a positive volunteer experience
- Compensation: $15 per hour
- Time Off: 20 days of paid time off / 5 days of paid sick time / paid holidays
- Employer-sponsored health insurance with 50% of coverage paid by CHP
- Employer-sponsored 401k plan (no match)
- 2 years of agricultural experience, preferably in an orchard setting
- 1 year of tractor experience
- Knowledge of IPM and a Pesticide Applicator License a plus (If you do not have a PAL, training will be provided)
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to work in all types of weather including rain and snow
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive, self-starting attitude