For September’s cooking classes we learned all about whole grains! Whole grains are grains that are less processed than refined grains, leaving the bran and germ intact (refined grains are just the endosperm of the seed). This makes have a higher fiber content which means they take longer to digest and therefore make you feel full longer, and more vitamins and minerals than their refined counterparts.
For the cooking class we made a summery version of this quinoa salad with peaches, cherry tomatoes, and corn. Now that we’re well into fall we adapted it with apples and roasted squash.
There are just a few more cooking classes for the year left! Click the class titles below to see the full class descriptions and sign your child up.
Broccoli Head Chefs (9-12 year olds)
- You Can Make Pasta – Wednesday, November 6th, 2019, 4-6pm
- It’s a Party! – Tuesday, December 10th, 2019, 4-6pm
Celery Sous Chefs (5-8 year olds)
- Personalize Your Pizza – Thursday, November 14th, 2019, 4-5pm
- Personalize Your Pizza – Monday, November 18th, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm
- Delightful Dips – Wednesday, December 4th, 2019, 4-5pm
- Delightful Dips – Thursday, December 12th, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm
Quinoa Salad with Apple and Squash
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 kale leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 large apple, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups roasted squash or sweet potato
- A large handful basil, torn into pieces
FOR THE DRESSING:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a jar combine olive oil, vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Shake to combine.
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, kale, roasted squash/sweet potato, and basil. Add the dressing and toss to combine.