Pesto is summer turned into a perfect sauce. In our July cooking classes we picked herbs and greens to make an easy pasta dish you can enjoy hot or cold at a picnic. This easy vegan recipe is packed with vegetables and whole grains to please and nourish.
Our September classes return to the after-school times, but we will still be harvesting from the learning garden for each class! We hope your child can join us to learn about delicious whole grains or make veggie burgers.
Broccoli Head Chefs (9-12 year olds)
Between Two Buns – Monday, September 30th, 2019, 4-6pm
Celery Sous Chefs (5-8 year olds)
Whole Grain Goodness – Tuesday, September 17th, 2019, 4-5pm
Whole Grain Goodness – Wednesday, September 25th, 2019, 4:30-5:30pm
Pesto Pasta Salad with Kale
- 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and ripped into small pieces
- 3 cups washed herbs and greens, such as basil, cilantro, parsley, chives, kale, or spinach
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds or nuts such as pecans, walnuts, pine nuts, or almonds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (the yellow from the outside of the lemon)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the pesto: Puree all ingredients in a food processor.
Put pasta in boiling, salted water. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until not quite done. Toss pasta and kale with pesto and serve!
Read the rest of the August Sprout here!